Wednesday, April 9, 2014

H is for Healthy

H is for Healthy!

Healthy isn't typically a term used when referring to cookies but a friend at work gave me this recipe for Breakfast Cookies the other day.  

Quite honestly, if she hadn't brought one for me to taste, I doubtfully would have ever given the recipe a second look.  I've tried other so called "healthy" dessert or cookie recipes only to be disappointed in either the taste or the texture
.  
These aren't a chocolate chip cookie[wink] but if you are looking for an alternative type cookie or for something grab-able as you're running out the door in the morning they're really pretty good!

I'll share the recipe using the tweaks I made ...

BREAKFAST COOKIES

2 cups old fashioned oats (pulsed 5 times in a blender to make them slightly powdery)
3/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 cup almond butter (peanut butter or sunflower butter could work as well)
1/4 cup pure maple syrup (or honey)
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 large ripe banana, mashed
1 cup dried cranberries (or raisins)
1/2 cup shelled sunflower seeds (or shelled pumpkin seeds)
1/4 cup ground flaxseed(I forgot to put this in this time but I will when I make them again)
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes

You could always add chopped nuts but I didn't this time.  These are very adaptable to whatever your preferences for add-ins might be.  I think I might try some blueberries next time instead of the dried cranberries or raisins.

Preheat oven to 325.  Grease cookie sheets or line with parchment paper.  

Combine all ingredients together using a mixer until well combined.  The dough gets pretty stiff and sticky.

Drop approx. 1/4 cup dough onto prepared cookie sheets.  Slightly flatten to a desired thickness.  These will not spread much in the oven.

Bake for 14 - 17 minutes or until edges are slightly brown.  Allow to cool slightly on the cookie sheets before removing.  These keep well at room temperature for up to a week but also freeze good so you can take out how ever many you need whenever you need them.






If you can't stand the thought of a "healthy" cookie, adding a bit of this on top of a warm cookie fresh out of the oven could be the answer for you.  Not that I'm speaking from experience though. Nope, not me. ;) 



 

3 comments:

  1. Ah! They look wonderful, but sadly I've had to cut out oats from my diet since I found out I have a gluten intolerance. I'll be on the hunt for a quinoa version I think.

    TheCapillary
    http://thecapillary.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look as good as they sound! I will definitely be trying these. Thank you! :D

    ReplyDelete