Monday, April 7, 2014

F is For Fancy Farmhouse Architecture

We went east to visit one of our sons and his wife yesterday, J & K.  While taking a short drive to the grocery store...doesn't everyone go to the grocery store just for fun while visiting someone? It was a Mejier!  I had never been to a Mejier Grocery Store but this won't be my last time.  Soooo much nicer than the dreaded WalMart....anyhow, back to "while taking a drive"... we came across two old abandoned farmhouses.  There were "For Sale" signs out front so doesn't that mean they're free game to pull in the driveway, look in windows or what once was a window and maybe even wander through the house.  If the door is unlocked and open, wouldn't you?

The architecture of old houses just blows me away.  The builders often took extra care in little details, like the embellishment above this window and the panel that was next to the front door.





I can only imagine what these windows looked like before they were salvaged or stolen.  I don't think they were just broken out as the ones that were missing were roundtops or might have likely been leaded or stained glass.  I'm hoping someone salvaged them and didn't just throw them out.


Can't you imagine a cozy sitting area in this corner of the house?



The houses had been vandalized with graffiti and plaster pulled off the walls to get to the copper wires which people steal and sell for cash. :(  Raccoons also seem to have taken up residence as evidenced by the gifts they've left behind. :(

Both of the homes were obviously high end homes in their day.  I would guess the above home to have been built in the early 1900's and maybe the one below in the 1930's or 40's.  



I can't help but wonder what these homes and the surrounding property might have looked like back in the day.  It makes me sad to see beautiful buildings fall into such sad shape.  




5 comments:

  1. Sometimes I wish I had lived "back in the day" in a home like that but then I remember my microwave, my computer, my IPad..... :) I do love the beauty of them though, especially the high ceilings and the spacious size of the rooms. blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love old houses and all of the fancies. Looks like this one would have been a beauty! Hard to believe that you haven't been to a Mejier grocery before - you need to get out more :) !!! ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sad, but beautiful. <3 I love little glimpses into the past like that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, stopping by from the A to Z Challenge...

    I love old houses (and new ones, too) but I especially like to look for "character" in houses. It is sad to see lovely homes in such a sorry state. Most older houses seem to have more of this character than the "new and clean" looks of modern living spaces nowadays.

    Wishing you all the best with the Challenge!

    Regards,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,
    Stopping by from the A to Z Challenge - I hope this comment will publish. My other comment didn't come out. Anyways, wishing you all the best with the Challenge!
    Regards,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete