Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Rest

Do you ever find yourself running in circles?  trying to catch your tail?  being busy for the sake of being busy?

We’ve  just started a new study in our Ladies small group called “Resting in Him - I need to slow down but I can’t!”.  It’s part of the Women of Faith study series.  I am so ready for this topic.    It may not be the deepest study but it’s one of those things that I for one need to be reminded of constantly.

The title alone whacked me upside the noggin’…I need to slow down but can’t!  I find it hard to just relax and not be doing something or at the very least thinking of a gazillion things I should or could be doing. 

To quote from the study book “as we maintain a busy lifestyle, either our nerves will get all wadded up into an explosive bundle or gradually legitimate emotions get shut down.”  I was at the latter not so long ago.   I wasn’t feeling what I should have been feeling about events, situations, etc.  I just didn’t have the energy to put into the emotions.

I was at a breaking point where I knew things had to change.  But what?  Most of what is in my life is enjoyable and good stuff so how does one determine what has to go to lighten the proverbial load; especially when all this good stuff involves people, activities and ministries which I enjoy? 

I’m still working on what is going to go but have definitely set more boundaries on what I’m letting into my life.  It’s definitely a work in progress.

I think back to a Leadership class I was recently at where the questions posed were…

  • What fills you?
  • What drains you?
  • What’s life giving?
  • What’s life sucking?
  • What depletes the energy from me?
  • Why am I doing what I am doing?

These questions have been my life filter lately.  If it doesn’t fill me or give life then why am I doing it?

Can you relate to any of these questions? 

“Come with me by yourselves to a quiet place and get some rest.”  Mark 6:31

 

3 comments:

  1. Please keep us posted on this study - it sounds like one I might want to do at my church. We definitely have some women who need to hear this - me? not me? never me? why would anyone think I was too busy? :) blessings,, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds good...I can relate especially to the idea of 'thinking of a gazillion things I should or could be doing'...that's me quite often.

    ReplyDelete