Sunday, March 21, 2010

The two best things since sliced bread

Who knew?   I must live in the dark ages that I never knew about these two little inventions before. 

Well, I finally crawled out from under my rock and am in heaven!  Heaven, I tell ya!

My two new favorite things…

A butter bell.  Weird concept but it works!  You take this little crock and

IMG_3336

fill it a third of the way with cold water and fill the bell portion with butter. 

Yes, I said butter, real honest to goodness butter. I still stand behind the thought that a little bit of real butter is way better for you than the junk that most margarines are made out of of.   IMG_3335  Place the bell portion upside down into the crock and leave it sit on your counter. Don’t put it in your refrigerator.  Yup, you heard me right, no refrigeration needed.  Strange huh? 

We’ve been using it this way for two weeks now and not gotten sick yet.  I was brought up that most everything goes in the refrigerator so this is really thinking outside the box for me.

  The result – soft spreadable butter every time.  No more microwaving the butter to soften it only to have it turn to liquid and run all over.

I suspect these have been around for years.  I’ve probably just been under my rock but am loving this “new” invention now.

The second new discovery of mine which I know has been around for  a long time although I never “got it” is the 1/4” foot for a sewing machine.  Wow!  What a difference!

IMG_3338

I’ve sewn for years but this little baby takes the headache and stress out of sewing that’s for sure, especially quilting.  On the right side of this lil ol’ sewing presser foot is a metal guide to butt your fabric up against as you sew and wallah you have a nice, even, straight 1/4” stitch! 

I’ve always went by the mark on the plate of the sewing machine and would get crooked semi-straight 1/4” seams.  Problem solved now.  I use to dread topstitching because it always looked messy.  No more with this handy, dandy gadget!

The result – beautiful 1/4” seams!

If you don’t have either one or both of these items, they are a must have for sure!

9 comments:

  1. I've never heard of a butter bell either.

    My piecing improved a lot when I got my 1/4" foot with a guide. More consistent and my blocks ended up more (notice I didn't say exactly!) right sized.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We keep out a stick of butter in a covered butter dish and haven't gotten sick from it in 12 years :) I'm soooo against margarine, but that's no shocker!

    1/4" presser foot...sounds awesome...now if only I could cut straight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And where would one get a butter bell? We always use real butter but it is kinda firm when it comes to spreading. That 1/4 inch sewing foot is a good idea!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must have been under that same rock, as I didn't know about the butter bell. That's cool!

    I did know about the 1/4" foot though, and I couldn't sew without one. Wonderful, I say, just wonderful!
    be blessed and have a great week!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another thing I could not live without is a June Tailor Shape Cut. I have the 12" size,

    http://www.amazon.com/JUNE-TAILOR-Shape-2dCut-Rotary-Cutting/dp/B000YZ7SJM/ref=sr_1_1/192-8442778-0400856?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1269222225&sr=8-1

    and the 12 x 18" size. Also a smaller one with 1/4" increments as well as 1/2".

    I've been told that margarine is just one molecule away from being plastic, but that is not true. Check it out:

    http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/620923/is_margarine_one_molecule_away_from.html

    I love butter, but grew up on margarine, so I seem to always buy margarine, except to use in some recipes. Margarine does make softer cookies, I have found, which I like better. I feel better already, knowing I haven't been eating plastic all these years. LOL!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am glad you found the quarter inch foot. I love mine.

    Now where did you find the butter bell?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lori I love my butter bell and have had it for a year with no problems. I much prefer butter over margerine but unfortunately right now I'm doing weight watchers and am severely limiting either of those. :( Keep an eye on your quarter inch foot. I've had several and eventually that little metal piece can bend. Just measure occasionally to be sure it's staying straight and it will be wonderful. blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow - I think I may need to invest in both of these babies!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a butter bell and have been using it for about 5 years now. I love butter - it's real and natural. I have my doubts about margarine ...

    ReplyDelete