Sunday, September 7, 2008

And the wind comes whippin' down the plains


"Illl-lii-nooiis, where the wind comes sweepin' down the plain
And the wavin' wheat can sure smell sweet
When the wind comes right behind the rain."
Ok, ok, so I took a little creative liberty with the lyrics but I'm sure Rodgers & Hammerstein don't mind.

Seriously, these things are starting to pop up all over around here. This particular wind farm is about an hour south of where we live.


There is another farm with 67 turbines just starting to go up not far from us. We watch the components go by our house almost every day now. These blades are 155 feet long!


Controversy aside, they're neat to look at and are very calming to sit and watch.
Hey, it beats watching the corn grow!

6 comments:

  1. The sky looked beautiful. Thanks for sharing your knowledge of wind tubines with us. 155 feet long blades? My goodness!

    I love the music on your site.
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are calming to watch. I sometimes pull off I-39 in Paw Paw to photograph the windmills. They are huge but they actually built some bigger ones just south. You can't get a sense of the scale unless you're up close and personal.

    The wind is always blowing in Illinois. I can tell you I was never so freaked out as when I visited a place in Arkansas where the air was dead still. There wasn't one molecule of air moving. It was freaky.

    - Suzanne, the Farmer's Wife

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments. I can always find info on the turbines as I work at Highland Community College and they've started a new Wind Turbine Technician degree this fall in my area. I just corner the guys and ask, so don't get the idea that I'm smart. I just know who to ask. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. 155 ft. long - wow! They sure don't seem that large when they are assembled and turning in the wind!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I, for one, am glad to see those wind mills! A forward step! blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful sunrise.

    Somewhere on the road last year, we went by a bunch of trucks which were just over the border into Nebraska, I think. They had all parked by the side of the country road we were traveling. I was astonished by how huge they are up close. I've driven by the field in Riverside, CA, for years and never realized they were so big!

    ReplyDelete