Wednesday, June 15, 2011

A heart for the hurting...

If you remember a few weeks back, DH & I took a team from our local church to Hackleburg, Alabama to assist with tornado clean-up.  You can read about it here if case you missed it.

Jim went with us and when he returned home, he shared stories of what he saw and did with his wife, Shelly and their three sons, Jamie, Corey & Riley.  The boys were so touched by what Jim shared that they wanted to do something more for the people of Hackleburg who lost everything in the tornado that struck their town on April 27th. 

They brainstormed and came up with the idea of a lemonade and cookie stand.  Mom got busy and baked her little heart out making 15 dozen Peanut Butter and Sugar cookies.  Last weekend between a garage sale and a local parade they made over $200 for Hackleburg Helping Hands. How cool is that? 



With that going so well, they've decided to step it up even more and get a booth at the Winnebago, Illinois 4th of July celebration.  Shelly plans on making 100 dozen cookies!  I can't begin to get my head wrapped around that one!  If you're in the area, make sure you look them up on July 3 or 4th.

If you're local and would like to help in a tangible way, Shelly will be baking cookies at our church kitchen in Freeport, IL the next two Saturdays and could use many extra hands. 

Or if you're not local and would still like to help, she is taking donations of $$ towards supplies.  Leave me a comment with your email(if you're a "no reply-comment blogger") and I'll send you Shelly's mailing address so you know where to send your donation.    Even $5 helps buy flour, sugar and chocolate chips.

What a great example of servanthood for parents to teach their children and what a great way to involve the kids!  Be sure to check out the last couple of posts on Shelly's blog to read all the details.

3 comments:

  1. Please send me the address to send a contribution. What time are you baking cookies on Saturday. My husband will be on his way to TN to work rehabbing houses with a couple church groups and I will be at loose ends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. That is so wonderful. 30 minutes away from here where my Mom and Sister live we had a bad tornado. It tore the little town of Ringgold Ga. up. There is not much left. So thankful that it didn't touch my Mother and sisters house. They were safe. I would love to send a token to help them. Send me the address and I will send it to you. Do they take paypal? I can't send much but I would love to be a part of something so good.

    ReplyDelete