Tuesday, June 14, 2011

First “Helmet-cam” of the season

We finally had our first real ride on Sunday.  We had made 3 short trips into town for something or another but not the leisurely ride we’ve been longing for.  Sunday was the day!

IMG_7147IMG_7160

IMG_7170

Every ride needs a good walk-about at some point to ward off TB.

Our friends, Kerry & Kim

IMG_7234

just bought their bike 3 weeks ago and already they have 750 miles on it.  They’re putting us old-timers to shame!

No ride towards the Mississippi River

IMG_7189

is complete without lunch at Poopy’s.IMG_7221DH & I split the “Big Poop” burger and it was still almost too much for the two of us to eat.  We passed on the “Poopy sauce” though. 

Let me just say, I couldn’t make this stuff up if I wanted to! Smile

While we were waiting for Poopy’s to open for lunch, we took a drive through the Savanna Army Depot (now de-commissioned).  This Depot was one of the largest munitions depots in the country during WWII.

IMG_7183IMG_7192IMG_7202

One can only imagine how busy this base was during the 1940’s when ammunition & bomb production was at it’s peak.

IMG_7210

I don’t remember much about it but I stayed in these barracks for a week while I was in high school.  I was part of a summer work program which included a week of “training” here at the Depot.  They taught us interviewing skills, resume writing, etc.  That was the summer I worked at a local library.  If you know me in person, you would know that I’m not probably as quiet as a person in a library should be, so needless to say it wasn’t a job I wanted to stick with. Smile

The Depot has been de-commissioned since 2000 and now leases out office space and facilities for some light manufacturing.   The rest of the buildings sit empty.IMG_7207

This little guy seems to have taken up residence though.  IMG_7197

1 comment:

  1. That's a nice ride and Savanna is an interesting destination..... BUT .... I HATE that bridge across the river to Iowa!!!! I freak out going over it in a car, I can't imagine what it's like on a bike. YIKES!!!! Don't look down is all I can say.

    ReplyDelete