Monday, June 28, 2010

Coffee dyeing

My sister-in-law and I hosted a bridal shower yesterday for a niece  who is getting married in September.

I wanted to do something,a little momento, that those attending could take home with them.    At our blogger breakfast in May, Joyce made each of us an altered tag.  I use mine for a bookmark in whatever book I’m currently reading currently so I thought I would give that idea a try for the shower.

Using shipping tags, I brewed strong coffee to soak the tags  in.

IMG_3634
IMG_3636

I’m guessing I left them soak for 30 minutes or so.
Then I laid them on paper towel  and sprinkled coffee grounds on top rubbing the grounds in a little.

IMG_3640
It took quite a while for the tags to dry.  I, then shook the grounds off and ended up running the tags under water again to remove the grittiness.  I dried them on paper towel a second time .

Then comes the fun part, I got out scrapbook paper scraps, stickers and all kinds of embellishments and went to town. 
IMG_3735I kept layering until I got them where I liked them.  When they were all done, I tied some fun yarn and ribbon on the tops.  The colors didn’t quite photograph like they actually look but you get the picture, I’m sure.  In the end, there isn’t much coffee dyeing showing but I’m still really happy with how they turned out.

These are a few of my favorites.
IMG_3741 I will definitely do a project like this again.  They’re relatively inexpensive to make and can be changed to go with whatever theme you want.  Now I just have to decide which one I’m keeping back for me. ;)  I should get first right of refusal, not?

8 comments:

  1. Really nice, Lori!! I would keep a few for myself too. These are great in that you can use them for lots of different occasions... do I see some Christmas gift tags in the future?

    Di

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so pretty...I can see now how you worked the colors into an elegant rustic theme.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice! They'd be great for any occasion. I'll have to try quilt designs. So which one did you keep?

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cute. You should sell them on Etsy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea! Thanks for sharing.
    until next time... nel

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did a fantastic job!! I'm sure everyone loved them. I do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like them too. Good job. They look like they'd be fun to make:)
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very pretty, Lori! I bet they were a hit. I like the idea of Christmas tags too! Heck, just sign the back or front and use them as Christmas CARDS!

    ReplyDelete