Saturday, August 2, 2008

Good stuff!

Our local newspaper published this recipe last week and oh my, finally an answer to low sugar italian ice which I have never, by the way, been able to find!

Blueberry Granita
3-1/2 cups blue berries
1/2 cup sugar (I used Splenda baking blend)
3/4 cup water
1 teaspoon lemon zest (the real kind)
1 T. lemon juice (again, the real kind)

Whipped cream for serving

In a food processor, combine 2-1/2 cups blueberries with the sugar. Process until very smooth.
Transfer puree to a mesh strainer set over a bowl. Use the back of a spoon to press the juices out of the pulp. Discard pulp.
Mix in water, lemon zest & juice. Transfer mixture to a shallow non-reactive baking dish and place in the freezer. Using a fork, stir every hour, crushing and scraping ice as it forms.

Fluff with a fork and spoon into chilled serving glasses. Top with remaining blueberries and unsweetened whipped cream.

From "Outstanding in the Field: a Farm to Table cookbook" by Jim Denevan (with a few of my revisions)

This is so good! Nice & light. I think next time I'll try it with blackberries and forget squeezing out the pulp.

Sorry there is no recipe but I didn't exactly serve it in a chilled glass. I've been just grabbing a scoop out of the dish it was frozen in. That's allowed, right?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment