Saturday, August 16, 2008

Class riding - Day 1

The motorcycle class I signed up for back in February is finally here.

I attended classroom lecture last night from 6 - 10. Today was our first day riding. We started by 7:30am this morning. I am riding a Yamaha dirt bike that has come to be my friend and enemy, sometimes all at the same time.
We started out by learning where all the controls are on the bike we have for the day. Good thing to start with, don't ya think?
Then they put us through a series of drills, involving balance, braking, leaning, clutching, etc. This morning's drill mostly went well but then they had to go ahead and have us ride around cones. That's a whole 'nother story! The first set was fun at 20 & 30 feet apart, but then we had to ride around ones at 15' & 20' apart. That got to be a problem. Let's just say, if the cones were squirrels, we'd have about 10 less squirrels in the world right now!
However, I am learning I can lean the bike without feeling like I am falling over. That's a huge step for me! I'm going to hang on to that positive thought as I head back out to the course for the afternoon session of a few more riding drills and more classroom until 6 pm tonight.

Tomorrow we test! Yikes!

1 comment:

  1. You are a brave woman, a very brave woman. Or you're crazy. Could be crazy. Aren't you terrified? I'd be so scared! blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete