Sunday, July 13, 2008

How deep are your roots?

During our motorcycle ride this morning, we passed a hill with one large tree standing on top of it. I almost asked Dan to stop so I could jump off, dig my camera out and take a picture, but didn't and now wish I would have.

I got to thinking about that tree on the hill. More than likely at one time there were other trees on the hill alongside this one, but for some reason or another they are now gone. Maybe they blew over, were struck by lightning or just plain rotted away.
What made this one tree stand as all of it's counterparts crumbled?
Could it be it's roots are deeper?
Could be on a firmer foundation?
Why is it some people handle a crisis better than others?
Do they have a firmer foundation?

I compared this to my walk with Jesus. I would like to think that I have that firm of a foundation and my roots always run deep to Him, but admittedly some days that isn't so.
When I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer a year and half ago, I feel I accepted and handled it pretty well knowing God was in control.
However, when things happen with or to my family, I don't always handle those events as well. It's tough to let God control that part of my life. I'm a wife, a mom, a grandma, a "fixer". I should be able to fix whatever is wrong, right? We all know that just isn't possible.

Last night at church, we read

Psalm 121:5
"The Lord himself watches over you!
The Lord stands beside you as your protective shade."
(NLT)

When I heard this verse last night, I pictured in my mind a big tree on a hill. The tree was the Lord. I was sitting under that tree covered and protected by the shade of the Lord. And today I saw just such a tree.

My prayer is that my roots continue to grow with and dig deeper to my Lord and that I will rely totally on Him for the shade and strength He so willingly provides.

No comments:

Post a Comment