Saturday, May 24, 2008

Great new magazine

In today's mail was a copy of a new magazine from Reiman Publications called "Taste of Home - Healthy Cooking." I used to get Taste of Home and Quick Cooking but there were so few recipes that fit into my low carb, low sugar and Dan's heart healthy, low sugar diet. We don't sound like much fun after that statement, do we?
I've tried to adapt recipes I used to make, so they were more health-friendly but we usually end up saying it isn't as good as it is with the regular ingredients. I've come to the conclusion it's probably better to just go with something new so we aren't comparing the taste. I made my first recipe out of this new magazine today and it's so good and easy to make, I had to share.

Corn & Bean Salad
(It says salad, but to us it was more like a salsa.)
1 can whole kernel corn, drained
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
2 large tomatoes, finely chopped (I used Roma tomatoes. This will be really good when fresh tomatoes are in season - YUM!)
1 large onion, finely chopped
1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro (I used dried. It was good but would be even better with fresh cilantro like the recipe calls for)
2 cloves of garlic, minced
Dressing:
2 T sugar 2 T white vinegar
2 T canola oil
1-1/2 teaspoons lime juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Combine the first six ingredients in a large bowl.
In a small bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients; pour over the corn mixture and toss to coat.
Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Stir before serving. Serve with a slotted spoon.



Tonight we grilled mesquite seasoned cheeseburgers on the grill and spooned some of this over top. Mmm, mmm, good.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment