Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Incredible inventions

If you've been reading here, you know I'm currently laid up after ankle surgery.  I thought it might be fun to share a few items that have been helping me cope with the limited mobility I'm experiencing.


The Body Pillow
I've never owned one, never saw a need to but am so thankful I do now!
This has made a world of difference in how I sit and lay as it levels out my whole leg while elevating my foot without having to use extra pillows and doesn't leave my knee dangling in mid-air.  So comfortable!


The Lap Desk
What a great dual purpose tool!  It allows me to use a computer on my lap without my legs getting overheated and when covered with a towel it makes a fine lunch tray.  Computer and food - does anyone really need anything else?? 

The Knee Walker
I was able to borrow this from a friend who had foot surgery a year ago and let me tell you this thing has liberated my life!  It is so much less tiring than crutches or a walker and I can go much faster.  Those that know me well know that faster is extremely important to me. LOL  I still use a walker to get in and out of the shower and for a few other things but I haven't picked up the crutches since I've been home.  This thing scoots around my house amazingly well.  I also hung a small bag on the front of it so I can transport things easily from room to room.  What an incredible invention!


The Cast Cover
Oh my goodness.  Let me tell you if I had to take only sponge baths for these 6 weeks, I would be pretty cranky by now and I'm only half way through the time.  I found these cast covers on Amazon.  It pulls on easily over the cast and has a vinyl grommet at the top that once in place seals any water out which in turn allows me to take a shower which in turn makes me feel like a human being!  Bliss, I tell ya', pure bliss!  We have an oversized walk-in shower in which we've placed a plastic lawn chair that I can sit and use a handheld shower head.  This has worked out so amazingly well.  What a huge blessing it's been to be able to feel truly clean.



And last but certainly not least, I have to show one more thing my DH came up with.  

The Honda Civic Adaptation

I have to keep my foot elevated almost all of the time.  This makes it incredibly hard to ride in a vehicle.  Not to mention that my doctor is 1 hour and 45 minutes away which is waaaayyy too long to leave my foot down.  I think it might swell right out of my cast should I try that.  
I didn't quite fit sitting sideways in the back seat...a 35" inseam and a Honda Civic doesn't measure out correctly.  
Ingenius DH got the bright idea to take out the front passenger seat allowing me to sit in the back seat and prop my leg up on stools and a cushion in front of me.  

What a God send this has been!  It made the long trip back to the doctor so much more bearable and we are able to go out for a ride in comfort as well.  Yeah, I think I'll keep him.

If I could find the creators of these wonderful inventions, I think I'd give them a huge kiss!  Well, at least the one who lives with me.  :)

6 comments:

  1. Super that you have found things to make your life easier while you heal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HOLY OUCH BATMAN! I agree with Linda, great that you've found different ways of coping. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like you have adapted brilliantly! Wishing you a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Lori - you've found some pretty great aides in your recovery. Being able to take a shower - priceless. blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  5. I kept forgetting to ask about your car rides. It is great your man is creative & mechanical!

    ReplyDelete
  6. When will you take the cast off?Hope you feel better and dont have any pain.

    ReplyDelete