Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Being jolted back to reality

I woke this morning after a good night's rest(which has not been a regular occurence for me lately) to the most beautiful mist hanging in the fields behind the house. I snapped a few pictures as I was heading out the door to work. Today was the second day of the fall semester at the community college where I work. So far it's been typically chaotic but seeing God's glory so early put me at peace.

This farm is the farm I grew up on until I was 7 and we moved into town. I can see it across the field from where we live now. How fun is that?

As I was getting in the car, I looked at my planters on the porch and thought how much I really like the way they look with the vine cascading through the railing. On the way to work, I listened to a local Christian radio station's worship music. I was feeling very "ahhhh", can you tell? I was in my own little happy place. Can you feel the peace and tranquility???

I'm sitting at my desk saying to myself, "Self, chaos or not, this is going to be a great day!" Can I get an Amen on that? It's all about attitude, right?

Why is it then, the real world has to sweep in and mess up this really great "ahhhh" moment anyway? At 7:45am, an alarm starts going off, not just any alarm but our "campus shooter alarm!" Now, there is no mistaking which alarm it is, as it sounds like a sqwaking chicken. As it continues to sqwak, I look over at my boss and we both wonder if it's real or a malfunction? Hoping beyond hope that it's a malfunction but not knowing it is means lockdown mode. Doors shut & locked, lights off and supposedly under our desks. I skipped that part about getting under my desk until I knew for sure. Afterall, I was wearing white pants today. Priorities, you know.

Yes, it was a false alarm. They've been working on our intercom system and something went haywire. But what a creepy feeling thinking there was possibly something going on and not knowing what or where? And isn't it sad that we even need to have such a thing as a "shooter alarm"? One of those things in life I never thought I would have to deal with but now do.

The first thing many ask when a tragedy such as a school shooting happens is "how can God let this happen?" I believe it all boils down to free will and living in a fallen world. God is still God, always has been and always will be but the devil, his "fallen-ness" and our own freewill is rampant in this world as well.

There are hurting people all around us. We/I get so wrapped in my day to day activities that I fail to notice most times. It's so unfortunate that some of them think that taking out a classroom of students, faculty, staff and even themself is the only way to deal with their problems.
Our pastor summed it up a few weeks ago in saying "hurt people hurt people."

We never know by meeting someone in the hallway just how hurt they may really be. Sometimes just a smile or Good Morning may be all that's needed to alleviate some of that pain. Think about that the next time you meet someone going to and fro, look them in the eye and say Good Morning.

I'm not sure where all of this just came from, but it was something I guess I needed to get off my chest since this post was only going to be about foggy morning pictures. Thanks for letting me ramble and rant.

3 comments:

  1. Amen, Lori. I loved your post. Your explanation of 'Why does God let this happen', is excellent, and so true.

    I'm glad it wasn't the 'real deal', but I know how scared you must have been, and what an interuption to your peaceful morning. I do hope tomorrow is a better day. A squawking chicken??? Oh my!

    be blessed, and sleep tight!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lori. First of all, whew...thank God it wasn't real.

    Secondly, sometimes the words that need to be said come out when we least expect them, sorta like yours did today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lori this was a very timely post with school statting back. You can't see inside anyone to see how much they are hurting. blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete