Monday, July 6, 2009

Deck Party

We used to entertain alot, especially in the summer using the deck and fire pit.  The last couple of years, not so much.   Not for any particular reason.  The timing didn’t work out or just didn’t feel like it.  A week ago, DH and I were eating supper and decided it was time. 

I shot out an email to a bunch of people from church saying last night was it.  We had a great turnout (38 total) and served BBQ pork.  We provided the meat, beverage and table service.   

IMG_1754Everybody brought a dish to pass which makes the work for an event like this so much less.  These are pies I made(sorry I forgot to take a picture until they were dug into).  I saw a picture online and thought it would be a fun “fourth” thing to do.   One was strawberry and the other cherry with a mixture of blueberries and blackberries in quadrant with the stars.  They were actually pretty easy other than I tried a new pie crust recipe.  Big mistake, it didn’t want to hold together.  I should have stuck with the ol’ tried and true.

IMG_1762 We kicked back around the fire, played bags and ladder ball.   

IMG_1756 Guests also tested their skills by picking up an egg with the backhoe and placing it in an egg carton.  
above – Nephew Nathan supervising our pastor :)

Deck Party at Dan & Lori's

Placing it ever so gently in the carton. 
Three or four were able to do it without breaking the egg. 
Myself?  I didn’t even attempt it as patience is definitely not one of my stronger qualities.

Hope you had a great holiday weekend as well!

 

5 comments:

  1. How fun!...and the pies were beautiful, even if they didn't hold together like you thought.
    Good job!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun you all had! Don't break the eggs,,, THAT does not look to be an easy feat.

    Di
    The Blue Ridge Gal

    ReplyDelete
  3. Patriotic pies!

    Glad you had fun, everyone needs that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun time Lori. I need to do that! blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your pies looked yummy! I had never heard of trying to move an egg with a backhoe. That looks like a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete