Wednesday, June 24, 2009

At My Age...

I received this as an email from a friend and felt it worth passing along. It echos many of my own thoughts. I couldn't have said it better myself.


AT MY AGE…

I would never trade my amazing friends, life, or my loving family for less gray hair or a flatter belly.
As I've aged, I've become kinder and less critical of myself.
I've become my own friend.
I don't chide myself for not making my bed or for buying that silly cement gecko that I didn't need, but looks so avante garde on my patio.
I am entitled to a treat, to be messy, to be extravagant.

I have seen too many leave this world too soon; before they could understand the freedom that comes with aging.

Whose business is it if I choose to dance & sing to those tunes of the 70's or if I walk the beach in a swim suit that is stretched over a bulging body, and dive into the waves with abandon despite the pitying glances from the jet set.
They, too, will get old someday.

I know I am sometimes forgetful.
But then again, some of life is just as well forgotten. And I will eventually remember the important things.

Sure, over the years my heart has been broken. How can your heart not break when you lose a loved one or when your child suffers? But broken hearts are what give us strength and understanding and compassion.
A heart never broken is pristine and sterile and will never know the joy of being imperfect.

I am so blessed to have lived long enough to have my hair turning gray, and to have my youthful laughs be forever etched into deep grooves on my face.
So many have never laughed, and so many have died before their
hair could turn silver.

As I get older, it is easier to be positive and let things go.
I care less about what other people think.
I don't question myself as much anymore. I've even earned the right to be wrong.

I like being older.
It has set me free.
I like the person I have become.
I am not going to live forever, but while I am still here, I will not waste time lamenting what could have been, or worrying about what will be.

3 comments:

  1. This poem exactly fit my mood today. Every day I get up and get started...do this, do that, work, more work. I started today the same way. Cleaned out my desk and file cabinet. Rearranged the freezer. Then I thought, what in the world am I doing working from morning til night. I'm retired! So I read a book, ate cheetos, read my email, drank an extra chai latte. Because I could. :) blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  2. I stole this and put it on my blog -it is so good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this...really strikes home.

    ReplyDelete