Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Our little bread raiser


I mentioned in a previous post about how I enjoy making bread in the winter as I can let the dough raise on the corn burner. It can be quite the topic of conversation for those who have never seen or heard of one before. I thought I'd show what it's all about starting with the cleaning process. We clean it everyday. I'm using the term "we" in a very general way as I really don't do much with it other than enjoy the warmth.
We=hubby Dan

DIRTY

CLEAN


We start it with wood pellets soaked in lighter fluid first. Sometimes it gives us trouble not wanting to stay lit.
Dan has to preach it a sermon on those occasions about the virtues of staying lit.


The corn feeds in with an auger out of a bin in the back. We go through about 1-1/2 to 2 bushel of corn a day. It does a nice job in heating our home with the exception of the subzero weather we've had. It doesn't keep up as well then but I doubt any furnace does at that point.

Almost there

Ahhh, yes, time to grab a book and curl up in the corner. We'll chat later, I'm off to do some reading.

Have a warm, cozy night. I will!

4 comments:

  1. Cold here in Virginia tonite too and our fireplace is on too. Makes it very cozy.

    Di
    The Blue Ridge Gal

    ReplyDelete
  2. we've been having abnormally warm weather but the forcast is for snow again by the weekend...need to make sure enough firewood is next to the fire place! also i want to tell you that i am coveting your cute little highchair int he corner of your room! too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just wanted to coment on your corn burner. We also have one and this is our first year. And we just love it. We live in Michigan and it has been in the deep freeze this winter. I don't know what we would have done with out this winter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our corn burner looks just like yours! I love the heat it puts off and it will heat the main part of our home, not the quilting studio. Since I work in a grain elevator I have access to alot of corn! :D

    ReplyDelete